Vintage Austin: UT Main Building

This Vintage Austin from 1883 shows the west wing of UT’s original main building. Construction began in the fall of 1883 and finished in the summer of 1884. The second photo is from 1925 after the building was expanded. The building was built in three stages: the west wing was completed in 1883; the central section in 1891; and the east wing came last in 1899. By the 1930s, the University announced they’d demolish this building to make way for a new administration-library building, despite faculty, students, and residents of Austin not on-board with that plan.  Photo Credit: Austin History Center, CO6713

Photo Credit: Austin History Center, PICA08451

Post a Comment