Vintage Austin: Union Depot House
This Vintage Austin photo dates back to 1886. From a 1945 American-Statesman article, George Knight claims to be the boy sitting in the upstairs window, just ten years old at the time of the photo.
George's family moved to Austin from Rochester, NY in July 1885. His mother, Eliza Knight, owned the Union Depot House from the time of their arrival until she passed shortly after, in 1887.
The Union House Depot was torn down in 1902 for the construction of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad station.
Photo Credit: Austin History Center, PICA18667
Post a Comment