Vintage Austin: The Queen Theater
The Queen Theater sat at 700 Congress Avenue, now home to The Contemporary. In 1920, George Littlefield purchased the Queen Theater and the adjacent Casino Theater. Littlefield passed away before he could tear them down and rebuild them as one theater, but J.J. Hegman was able to complete the project. On March 2, 1821, the theater celebrated its grand opening with a 900-seat capacity and showed “Harriet and the Piper,” featuring Anita Stewart.
Photo Credit: Austin History Center, PICA 18318
Post a Comment